One fine day, when you suddenly do a blood test & come to know that you have screwed up very badly, that’s when you tend to realize the importance of food & you start goggling up for a dietitian (the best & cheap ones probably in the market)
A diet plan can help you with —
- Managing stress levels & better sleep.
- Manage mood swings
- Bring down the symptoms of medical conditions
- Getting fit, looking slim
- Improve stamina & endurance
Before coming to a dietitian you need to be mentally prepared for that – yes, I am doing this for myself & for a better future. Whether the dietitian is expensive or not is not at all important – but will you be compliant or not is much more imp than just spending money.
The utmost important thing would be – ‘YOUR GOAL’
So, what are the things that you need to consider before seeing a dietitian/nutritionist —
- Identify your needs: Before seeing a dietitian you need to first try & understand yourself. You need to identify your body’s needs & requirements. If you have already been in a medical condition, any specific sports related or pregnancy. You need to find your own areas to work on. You should also go to the dietitian with an understanding of how she will be able to help you. Explain all your points when asked & have an understanding if she will be able to help you achieve your goals. Be it improving your stamina, endurance on field or it could be burning of belly fat or even fertility nutrition.
- Not going via social media advertisements: It’s very easy for us nowadays to find anything online. Since google, facebook etc are all tracking our search online, it’s become very easy to track even dietitians. We keep scrolling multiple advertisements on social media about certain diet freaks, dietitians etc. Some people tend to go by that. Please research your bit before seeing a dietitian. Look for their official website, reviews etc just like you do it before buying something on amazon. You need to know who you are going to. Don’t jump into conclusions. Do follow their pages, posts etc. If you really find them helpful probably go to them.
- Not just believing on word of mouth: A lot of our friends & families visiting a dietitian or nutritionist generally share reviews of their own experience with them – whether the diet has worked or not worked. Some of them also refer to us. with A lot of people who tend to go by their friends, relatives etc. suggestions. But before actually trusting on others, I think self research is very much required. The point is, what works for one might not work for the other person which is quite possible. Proper research about the dietitian in a hospital or a clinic is required before actually visiting them. Be aware of crash diets or FAD diets.
- Credentials of the dietitian: One utmost important thing is the certification of a dietitian. Reviews, word of mouth all good, but what about the certification. Before approaching a dietitian ask for their degree or certification. It’s very important to know the credentials so that you can approach better. It’s about health, fitness, medical nutrition. you can opt to go to anybody who just by doing some short courses is claiming to be a dietitian. It could be clinical, sports, child specialist but specialisation & certification becomes an important aspect.
- Researching on the website,packages,plans: Cost, plans or packages is another important aspect. Research on – on what grounds the consultations are done. If we know the costs we can plan which dietitian would be budget friendly. Also, look for any products if the dietitian is selling. Look for supplements if any.
- Believing blindly on gym trainers & what all they suggest for diet: The people who are going to gyms are in regular touch with their trainers. They share a friendly bond with them which is good. These trainers who are into fitness tend to suggest diet plans to the other people in the gym. They suggest what things might have worked for them. But they really do not consider any medical condition of the person, no blood tests etc which could cause a problem in the long run. Please be aware & ask for scientific reasons before actually you start following the same.
- Experience: One thing which we look into all health practitioner’s profiles is experience. We know that experience counts, it definitely does. As a person who is experienced can handle things better. Definitely she/ he has done many cases & hence can help. Apart from this also knowledge of the subject is important. As this is regarding health you need to understand that random suggestions do not really work. As per the best nutritionist in Mumbai, even if you are on crash diets, you should be under expertise’s supervision. Intake of supplements for a long time, or what duration they should be taken should be considered as you don’t want to take the consequences for sure.
- Try getting a test call with the organization to understand their approach: If you have doubts in mind, it’s always better to speak to their customer care executive so as to understand their approach. You need to be sure before actually seeing them if you have doubts in terms of what their vision is towards improving health, improving blood parameters, improving your game. It’s always better to be with a personalized nutritionist or dietitian who can understand your needs, your goals & work towards the same.
A good dietitian would do the following things before assigning a diet plan to you —
- Medical conditions
- Body composition
- Eating culture
- Blood reports
A diet plan made scientifically with all the above points should focus on the person’s goal. A good diet plan should be gradual & not rapid one whether you are a kid, teenager, old aged or young.